judyrecords is a free search engine that lets you instantly search hundreds of millions of United States court cases and lawsuits. judyrecords has over 100x more cases than Google Scholar and 10x more cases than PACER, the case management system of the United States federal judiciary.
Extended searches The first 500K results are displayed instead of just the first 2K.
- murder - 749K cases
- fraud - 1.6 million cases
- burglary - 3.3 million cases
- assault - 7 million cases
- All Digitized Texas Appeals Court Cases Since 1900 (download Kaggle dataset)
- USPTO - Patents
- USPTO - Patent Applications
- USPTO - Patent Trial & Appeal Board
State Supreme & Appellate Court Dockets
AK, AL, AR, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA,
HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD,
ME, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH,
NV, NY, OH, OK, OR, PA, RI, SC,
TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WI, WV, WY,
Strikedenotes dockets have been added.
- Most written opinions are already available for each state.
Recently updated datasources
- California State Bar Court Records
- Muscogee County, Georgia Court Records
- Lubbock County, Texas Court Records
- Potter County, Texas Court Records
- Mendocino County, California Court Records
- Spalding County, Georgia Court Records
- USPTO - Trademark Trial & Appeal Board
- McLennan County, Texas District Court
- McLennan County, Texas County Court
- Texas Supreme & Appellate Courts
- Galveston County, Texas County & District Court
Trigger name matching
Strict mode (name + 3 commas)
- barack h obama,,,
Lenient mode (name + 2 commas)
- donald john trump,,
Trying strict then lenient matching, each using a full middle name, often produces the most useful results.
- 1st - donald john trump,,,
- 2nd - donald john trump,,
Valid name formats to apply name matching:
- first middle last
- first m last
- first last
If extra filtering is needed, additional qualifiers may be specified after the name part.
- donald j trump,, texas
- barack obama,, ("affordable care act" OR "aca")
- Sometimes both modes will produce the same results.
- Strict mode (name + 3 commas)
- "economic loss rule"
- "donald j trump"
Exact phrase proximity
"donald j trump"~4 - allow those terms to be up to 4 words out of order.
- Matches "donald j trump" but also "trump donald j".
- Search for trump close to the word casino.
- "donald j trump"~4 - allow those terms to be up to 4 words out of order.
- "donald trump" -florida
- "summary judgment" AND "employment discrimination"
- ("donald j trump"~4) OR ("donald john trump"~4) OR ("donald trump"~3)
- AND/OR/NOT must be uppercase.
AND/OR/NOT should generally be used with parentheses to ensure you get the expected results.
- For example, (donald trump) OR (paul manafort) will produce the expected results. donald trump OR paul manafort will not, and will be logically interpreted as donald AND (trump OR paul) AND manafort, rather than the expected (donald AND trump) OR (paul AND manafort).
- Combine with exact phrase proximity for better results: ("donald trump"~3) OR ("paul manafort"~3)
AND is the default operator implicitly used between terms.
- For example, ("donald trump"~3) AND ("paul manafort"~3) is the same thing as "donald trump"~3 "paul manafort"~3.
Case count log
2020-08-13 - 364.4 million/launch
2020-08-19 - 377.1 million
2020-08-20 - 379.5 million
2020-08-26 - 393.2 million
2020-09-24 - 397.3 million
2020-09-26 - 402.1 million
2020-09-27 - 404.4 million
2020-09-28 - 409.2 million
2020-09-30 - 409.8 million
2020-10-02 - 410.6 million
2020-10-05 - 413.6 million
2020-10-16 - 418.9 million
2020-10-28 - 419.3 million
2020-11-05 - 426.6 million
2020-11-16 - 435.4 million
2020-11-18 - 439.8 million
2020-12-02 - 440.3 million
2020-12-03 - 441.1 million
2020-12-05 - 444.0 million
2020-12-07 - 446.3 million
2020-12-09 - 448.4 million
2020-12-10 - 449.0 million
2020-12-12 - 449.4 million
2020-12-14 - 451.6 million
2020-12-15 - 453.2 million
2020-12-18 - 464.4 million
2021-01-09 - 477.8 million
2021-02-23 - 480.7 million
2021-02-25 - 480.9 million
2021-02-26 - 481.3 million
2021-02-27 - 481.5 million
2021-03-22 - 485.6 million
2021-03-23 - 487.6 million
2021-03-24 - 489.3 million
2021-03-28 - 495.1 million
2021-03-29 - 498.0 million
2021-03-31 - 507.7 million
2021-04-01 - 511.3 million
2021-04-02 - 514.8 million
2021-04-05 - 518.3 million
2021-04-12 - 529.7 million
2021-04-17 - 541.2 million
2021-04-20 - 563.7 million
2021-04-21 - 564.1 million
2021-04-24 - 564.6 million
2021-04-26 - 565.6 million
2021-04-29 - 566.1 million
2021-05-04 - 566.8 million
2021-05-05 - 567.6 million
2021-05-07 - 568.1 million
2021-05-08 - 569.0 million
2021-05-14 - 569.3 million
2021-05-20 - 570.5 million
2021-05-27 - 571.8 million
2021-06-01 - 574.2 million
2021-06-12 - 574.9 million
2021-06-19 - 575.0 million
2021-06-22 - 582.6 million
2021-07-12 - 583.5 million
2021-07-27 - 584.1 million
2021-08-01 - 584.3 million
2021-09-25 - 584.5 million
2021-09-26 - 584.8 million
2021-10-05 - 585.3 million
2021-10-13 - 588.3 million
2021-10-14 - 589.5 million
2021-10-15 - 591.1 million
2021-10-24 - 592.6 million
Other legal databases
- Caselaw Access Project – Free. 1.7 million+ federal cases. 4.9 million+ state cases.CAP includes all official, book-published United States case law — every volume designated as an official report of decisions by a court within the United States. Cases years range from 1658 to 2018.
- CourtListener – Free. 4 million+ federal and state court opinions. 70K+ oral arguments. 38K+ hours of oral argument audio.Primarily focused on federal courts, state courts of last resort, and state appellate courts. CourtListener features advanced search capability, alerts for new opinions matching any search criteria, and ranking of search results that takes into account the authority of opinions based on citation and precedence factors. Individual opinion pages are richly cross-referenced to related case law. PACER notwithstanding, CourtListener is the most powerful case law research tool available online — and in many ways is much more powerful.
- Fastcase Docket Alarm – Several free searches granted. Premium access upsell. 26 million+ federal cases. 91 million+ state cases. 19 million+ specialized agency cases (patent, trademark, tax, international trade, etc.). In addition to case tracking/alerts, Fastcase's Docket Alarm includes advanced analytics and calendaring capabilities.
- Google Scholar Case Law – Free. Google doesn't provide the exact number of court cases. Being focused on federal courts, state courts of last resort, and state appellate courts, Google's case law database is highly likely to be roughly the same size of CourtListener's case law database of 4-5 million cases. Google's Case Law search is extremely fast to search and navigate, has a very clean user interface, supports Google's standard query operators, and allows the creation of alerts for new results that match a given search.
- PACER – Fee-based, unless usage is less than $30 within a quarter or you are an exempted group or individual. 56 million+ federal court cases, including bankruptcy, criminal, civil, and appellate.PACER is the official case management system of the United States federal judiciary, run by the Administrative Office of the United States Courts (AOUSC). Fees are charged for almost every kind of request for case info, including each search result page viewed, and even when a search returns no results.
- UniCourt – Several free searches granted. Premium access upsell. 8 million+ federal cases. 110 million+ state cases.UniCourt offers premium API-based access to legal data and case tracking/alerts for the cases in its database and any case available in PACER. A large selling point of UniCourt's solutions is that they use powerful data normalization processes and algorithms to add value to their legal data, which includes normalization of case classification and entity names (e.g., people, companies, attorneys, law firms, judges).